Thursday, October 23, 2008

Carter's Arrival































Carter ONeal Pennington
arrived Tuesday, September 2, 2008
at 2:18 p.m.
Weight: 8 pounds, 2 ounces
Length: 20 inches

The morning of the induction, we were due to report to the hospital at 7:00 a.m. Luckily, I wouldn't have to wait hours in Triage, as all my paperwork was done prior to arrival.

Knowing it was our last chance to sleep, Derrick and I went to bed early on Labor Day (kind of ironic, huh?) and got a good night's rest. We got up around 6:00 a.m. Tuesday morning and got ourselves and the house ready. I'd already had our bags packed for WEEKS, so there wasn't much preparation needed.

When we got the car loaded up with our stuff, Derrick took one last video of me being pregnant, and I was talking to Carter telling him it was going to be his birthday today. We picked up my mom (Carter's MiMi - right next door) and headed out.

On the way there, I was very nervous, and I remember praying and being quiet the entire car ride. Derrick and Mom were talking and kept asking me if I was okay.

When we got to the hospital, I was put in a room to wait for a nurse to come in and start a Pitocin drip to help bring on my contractions. At that point, I wasn't feeling anything, but was 5 cm dilated, 90% effaced, and the baby was at 0 station...literally half of the work was done! We had Derrick, my mom, and his mom in the room.

My Pitocin, as well as fluid IV, and penicillin were started at about 9:00 a.m. By 10:00, I was beginning to feel the contractions, so we ordered the Epidural. It came around 11:00 a.m., and mom and Kelley left, so only Derrick was in the room with me. After having to have it readjusted and making sure I was good and numb, I settled in for a nap.

By 1:15, I was feeling the pressure and tightening and thought it might be about time to have the baby. My wonderful nurse came in to check on me at 1:30 and indicated it was time to start pushing. Derrick immediately called mom and told her to come back to the room because it was time!

After only 30 minutes or so of actual labor, Carter made his entrance to the world. He was so big - swollen from being in the birth canal for so long - and was red and crying. Derrick, mom, and I were all so happy and couldn't believe the process had gone so quickly!

Carter was whisked away to be suctioned, footprinted, etc, and Derrick was able to cut the cord, film his first moments in the world, and put his first diaper on!

People always tell you that you immediate love and form a connection with your baby as soon as you see him. It is so true, and holding Carter for the first time was amazing and indescribable. We feel so blessed to have a healthy, happy baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment